Monday, July 6, 2009

Nixon's BACK!!!!


"私はあなたの父親です"
-Vader-sama

No, Nixon's not back, but I couldn't pass up a chance to make a Futurama reference for I am a very weak man prone to temptation and the falling there of.

However, I can inform you that I am back from Anime Expo 2009, and I must say that I had so much fun and concentrated awesome that I have been reduced to communicating solely through a series of blinks when not near a keyboard. Seriously, my voice was running on fumes by the 2nd day, but the strangulation of my tonsils has always been one of my many barometers of fun.

That didn't sound right...

If you'll forgive me, I'm going to derail my own blog for the rest of the week and possibly into the next from my usual art programming to bring you some of the highlights of my AX experiences (at least the ones I can talk about in public...I shouldn't have said that.) I want to break up my recollections to 1). avoid the nefarious super post, 2). because I'm still very much recovering (I think I slept about 11 hours over the course of 5 days and walked the equivalent of 14 mile per day), and 3). for any other perfectly reasonable reason I can't think at the moment. Of course, I will also be posting pictures! Oh, here's one now:



Got to love those Rangers (and the pose and costume references I now have)!

It is, however, going to take me some time to go through all the ones my friends and I took. Being the resident artist of the group, I'm generally stuck with fixing our Expo pics, and it looks like we took about 300-400 photos this year. This isn't even counting the photos I'm waiting for via email from the photographers that ended up following us around on Friday (yeah, I was in costume too!) For one of these posts, I'll also be showing my own cosplay along with a normal pic of me (well, as normal as I can get anyway) for comparison, but I'm not going to tell you when. Tricky me. So, keep checking and reading to see my secret identity finally revealed...dun, dun, duuun.

Aside from pics, I will also be posting about some of the panels, events, and people I encountered at AX. This includes in no particular order:
1). Meeting the creators and writers of Robot Chicken (including Seth Green)
2). The creator of Trigun and the director of the upcoming Trigun Movie
3). The creators of the Guilty Gear and BlazBlue Franchises
4). The lead artists and director of Gurren Lagann
5). The character designer, writer, and director for Gundam 00 (not the same person of course)
6). The creator of Afro Samurai
7). The men behind the new Robotech Franshise from Harmony Gold
8). And a great deal more, I'm sure...

So, I really do hope you will forgive me this indulgence, but I think you'll like it. In all seriousness, I've always been a strong proponent of East meets West art (it's very much the thrust of my own style), and I have been a rather vocal advocate of the validity and wonderous beauty that can be found in both manga and anime, and while my coming entries are going to be so far from eloquence and charismatic dialogue to be almost recursive, I do hope that the sincerity of my passion and genuine love of the media does shine through, and that I, with my limited capacities, can convey just how much fun was had. After all, we had the Force and Samurai Vader on our side!

And yes, I am aware that I don't do anime art, so you don't have to point that out Mr. (or Ms.) smarty pants. Raspberry! Irony is entirely overrated anyway...

So, please stay tune, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment