Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Star Trek: The Klingon Empire 00


"Long live the Empire!"
-Kor, the Dahah Master

First, I hope everyone in the States had a happy and entirely unproductive holiday. Now, as you may or may not know, I am a rather huge fan of Trek and when I saw the newest installment, Star Trek XI, I screamed like the fan girl I am.

Now, ever since I saw the movie, I've had the itch to base some art around the new Abram timeline and aesthetics for Star Trek, but I didn't want to rehash areas already covered in the film. Thankfully, the galaxy is a big place, and the Klingon Empire is right next door to the Federation. Additionally, the Klingons never appeared in the movie (aside from some shots of simulated cruisers from the Kobiyahsi Maru), and so, is virgin territory as far as I'm concerned.

The challenge I've set myself is to concept out the Klingon Empire as it is in the new Trek universe, and the question I have to ask myself is how to design all things Klingon to be both recognizable and new at the same time. I haven't decided yet how often I'm going to post my Star Trek material, but I'm aiming for at least once a week (so, if Mr Abram's is reading or you know Mr. Abram's, send him my way!) As I start to post finished concepts, I'll also post "in-universe" snippets for reasons of flavor and fun. So, I hope you'll continue to view this little project of mine, and who knows, maybe it will go somewhere!

Now, for a short snippet of the above sketch, one of the things that has always bothered me about the Bird of Prey were those large wings, and what in the world they'd be used for. Klingon's are warriors, and they don't bother with extraneous features on their ships so why would they add those rather useless wings! Considering their enemies are space faring and the vast majority of battles occur in, um, space, designing ships with such an atmospheric-centric configuration seems...odd. My solution thus far: put additional sublights on those wings! After all, Birds of Prey are flying forward guns with engines, and emphasizing speed and mobility also helps to explain why BoP's only have a few (albeit powerful) weapons. The space was given over to more impulse engines.

Okay...that was long. Sorry about that. Hopefully, you'll stay tuned for the next installment of The Klingon Empire!

No comments:

Post a Comment