Monday, May 4, 2009

The Full Story



And now as promised, the full skivvy...

As you may have known, WotC is currently holding an art contest as a promo for the new Magic the Gathering novel, "Agent of Artifice." Simply put, it challenges those willing to pick their favorite scene in said book and illustrate it however they choose (barring something obscene of course). I first heard about this contest on ArtOrder (thanks Jon!), and resolved to enter. Somewhere along the way, I actually started getting a good deal of illustration work my way, and I despaired even as I rejoiced. For a moment ever so brief, I thought about not doing the MtG piece, but I had resolved to do it and by blood and ashes, I was going to do it!

*A brief intermission as I get my pomposity reigned in...

Anyhoo, here it is all spiffy and overblown. I decided on the ending scene of Chapter Six (a nice twist there but I won't spoil it), but took some artistic license to give the scene a real visual (and foreshadowing) punch. As an illustrator, I think our job is not just to literally illustrate a scene; rather, I think a good illustrator can parse out the core of a scene and build upon it to produce a fitting, faithful, and...umm...full of awesome visual companion to, in this case, the text (yeah, I failed with my alliteratives there).

Wow...when did this turn into a rant on illustration...

No comments:

Post a Comment