Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Ninja Scroll and Hollywood



First, I love anime. Love. It. I make no apologizes for this love and voice most vocally against those that don't consider it worthy of artistic consideration (just look at the works of Miyazaki, Shinkai, Amano, and Shojimori to name a few). However, while I love anime I am not an anime artist nor do I habitually create art in the many styles that exist under the aegis of anime. This is not to say that I can't create such (because I can) or that I don't enjoy doing so (because I do). It's just not my main schtick. That, and there isn't much of a market for it here in the States anyway (and I like eating on a regular basis). Indeed, I'll be the first to tell any aspiring artist doing (usually bad) anime to drop it, go do studies of real things and work on fundamental skills for at least six months and then, maybe then come back to anime. After all, you need to know how things actually work and exist before you can go screwing around with them in the name of stylization.

Now...getting to my main point, it seems that in the last year or so Hollywood has been caught by the anime bug. Dragonball Z Evolution (which is crap), the anouncement of a Robotech and Coybow Bebop live action movies, and now the news of Akira, Ninja Scoll, and FMP (Fullmetal Panic to the uninitiated). I'm not going to say that Hollywood is clearly running out of ideas, because to be honest, it didn't have any to begin with and to say as such somehow makes the above titles seem bad. They aren't (except DBZ...it suckled on suck). The problem is that, as far as I can tell, the people making these movie adaptations have no idead what anime is or has even watched any without dubbing.

To cut a long and meandering rant short, it really comes down to this: Hollywood...please stop raping my memories. Please.

*1 hour sketch.

No comments:

Post a Comment